Got my M34 Home!

From: Mark Ehle (MEhle@catc.k12.mi.us)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 12:16:21 PST

Hello, Folks -

Over the weekend, I got to drive my M35 home, about a 2-hour trip. The truck ran fine, no problems at all. It did take a little time to get used to the strange shift pattern and the narrow power band of the diesel - I have never driven anything this big before, and stop lights brought out a little panic, but It was a neat experience.

However, I was not prepared for the noise! My God, it was loud enough to make my head throb by the time I pulled into my driveway. There was a very loud whine when I shifted in to 5th and got up to highway (well, what approximates highway) speed. Is this normal for an M35? Nobody told me to get ear plugs, so I wonder if there is something wrong with the transfer case or the tranny. The gentleman that I bought it from told me that there is nothing to be done about it, that it is the nature of the beast. Is this right?

Otherwise, It was a real blast!

Thanks -

Mark Ehle