Greese in Gearbox !

From: Anith@wfp.org
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 20:55:57 PST

When I had a problem of oil leaking from the gearbox of my MUTT, a mechanic
attended to it and the oil leakage stopped. Since I was not in town at that
time, I could not see what he had actually done to solve the problem. Now,
when I opened the bottom filler plug to check the gearbox oil level, no oil
flowed out and instead I found grease! The mechanic says that he filled
greese and topped it up with oil to plug the oil leak!! (Ah! I live in
Africa).

Now what is the best way to remove ALL the grease and fill oil? Could the
grease already have done serious damage? I find difficulty in shifting
gears-particularly from higher to lower gears- ever since the grease was
filled.

Please help!

Anith

1984 M151A2