Re: [MV] Gear-box woes (Grease -2)

From: King (landy@pacificcoast.net)
Date: Mon Dec 27 1999 - 14:37:57 PST

>Anith.......
>
>Before you start to panic, there are three ball-bearings that act as detents
>in the gear-shifter housing. The interact with the shifter-shafts located in
>the top of the gearbox housing. Normally, they are retained in place with
>cotter-pins and springs......and I can see no reason for your mechanic to
>meddle with them. But if this mechanic has already swapped oil-for-grease....
> who knows what he has done?
>Maybe the bearings have come from elsewhere in the box, but my bet is your
>dunce mechanic has pulled the top off the transmission and fiddled with the
>shifter-shafts.
>
>I hope you've got a copy of TM9-2320-218-34 and 34P.... you're going to need
>them !
>
>Ken

It's funny you should mention this because I just mentioned to another on
the list that what some mechanics will do as a bandage job for poping out of
gears is that they will stretch or replace with a stronger spring one of the
detent springs.I wasn't sure if the MUTT's have clutch or ball style syncro.
Andre