RE: [MV] new question

From: John Hutterer (john.hutterer@deltec.com)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 10:43:06 PST

Dan,

There are more knowledgeable people on the list, but I'll take a shot at it.
A multifuel engine is, essentially, a diesel engine that has an injector
pump that has been designed with what is called a "fuel compensator". The
job of the fuel compensator is to determine the viscosity of the fuel and
adjust the pump characteristics to allow the engine to burn a variety of
fuels. I believe that the data plate which is usually found on the dashboard
of multifuel equipped trucks mentions kerosene, jet fuel, diesel, and
gasoline (not aviation grade). There is also something called CIE, but that
may just be shorthand for one of the other fuels already mentioned. I'm sure
that someone else will have more to say on the subject.

John