Re: [MV] cooling system problem

From: Rick Welker (rickw_17030@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 09:51:01 PST

I have a vehicle almost identical to yours. I also had
to replace the radiator about 2 years ago. Things I
found out when I bought the radiator: There are a few
different aftermarket ones available. 3-row; 4-row,
straight flow and turbinated flow. The 3-row
turbinated are SUPPOSED to cool as good as the
straight 4 row, but I was told if you want max cooling
stay with the 4-row. Also the 4-row straight will not
block as quick and can be cleaned easier. Replace
your thermostat; use either a genuine Ford or IH one
as the others don't hold up. Also the factory gauges
are notorously inaccurate; I replaced the oil pressure
and temp with mechanical ones mounted on the dash
where I can see them (I tow with mine). If you go
with mechanical gauges replace both as they interact
with each other through a "vibrator" on the back of
the dash. Doing just one could make the other read way
off. Mine showed "low normal" oil pressure (new
sending unit and gauge checked out) on factory gauge;
I have 45-50 hot towing on mechanical. Temp gauge was
off in oppisite direction; now towing about 190; goes
up to 205 and clutch fan kicks in like it should.
Diesels are too expensive to burn up. Hope this
helps. Rick