[MV] gasket question

From: King (landy@pacificcoast.net)
Date: Mon Dec 27 1999 - 18:21:02 PST

>Should paper gaskets (as used on the outer bearing seal on the rear axle of
>the 3/4 ton WC) be installed with gasket sealer (shellac) on both sides of
>the gasket, on one side of the gasket or or without sealer?

I like Loctite 515 and 518 for steel and aluminum.Great stuff but not cheap
but definitly no leaks.The paper stuff I leave for cold weather situations
where silicone,permatex,etc is too thick to apply or won't cure.Also for the
paper gaskets you need a very clean straight surface where as the other
stuff can compensate for some distortion and imperfections and still seal.
Andre