RE: [MV] MV CDL

From: John Hutterer (john.hutterer@deltec.com)
Date: Mon Mar 26 2001 - 07:02:11 PST

Jonathan,

I don't have the book in front of me now, but I think that the Class B CDL
is what is often referred to as a "chauffeurs license". It's what you get if
you're going to drive a school bus, a limousine, or some other type of
vehicle that hauls a group of people, for hire. There may be some kind of
weight classification involved, but I think that the main point is the idea
of hauling people around.

As far as the cost of a CDL is concerned, I have a Class A that I got here
in Minnesota. I think that the written/driving test cost was about $30.00.
There are a couple of guys in the Twin Cities who make a pretty decent
living out of providing vehicles for people to take their tests with. The
one that I called showed up the morning of my test with a current year
straight truck, with air brakes, and a pintle hitch flat-bed trailer behind
it. We spent an hour or so driving around and practicing with the rig before
I took the test. A State Examiner gave me the test, and signed off on my
license application. Cost of renting the truck was $175.00 for about 2
hours.

I didn't need the Vo-Tech course, because the Army taught me how to drive
tractor-trailers in the first place, but I have to admit that I would
probably learn some interesting things if I were to take a class like the
one you are taking. By the way, I checked with the DMV to find out if my
Army license could be transferred to a civilian CDL and was told that it
could not. Seems kind of strange that I could be licensed to drive a semi in
the Army, but not as a civilian. I guess that's why we create bureaucracies.
It keeps a large portion of the population employed duplicating the efforts
of another portion of the population.

John