Re: [MV] trailer laws - now MV Movers discussion

From: Jon Shoop (shoop19@brick.net)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 03:43:59 PST

I have talked to the DOT supervisors here in Missouri about this
subject.....as long as the towing vehicle is Historic Motor Vehicle
Qualified and tagged as such (25 years old or older)...they have no
interest in the matter. It is the displayed tag that makes the difference,
on the towing vehicle!

I have a M35 and a Trail King Backhoe tandem float, 20K...

I was concerned about the Class A CDL as well. I have a Class B......

So far as long as I have Historic plates, I am unregulated here as far as
the CDL goes.

Jon

At 03:10 AM 3/27/01 -0500, you wrote:
>I think I'm well beyond the dreaming phase Glenn. Reality hit my wife when I
>backed the 23K lb M51 off the back end of the dual tandem gooseneck
trailer that
>I used to haul the thing 300 miles to it's current residence. (Ironically
the
>rig I used to haul the truck home on, was a class A vehicle according to CDL
>definition) Not much later my wife was trying to hit me! Now it is parked
>next to the house with the front wheels off (hub work) and she has only
>mentioned it annoying her once. I think she has given up.
>
>I've talked to all kinds of people about my situation including the guy who
>insured me, the state police (Indiana), the County Sherrif, etc. The farm
>vehicle thing sticks here in Indiana. It might not work elsewhere and it
>obviously doesn't work in Kalifornia. In fact, Indiana has special licensing
>(not drivers license) provisions for mil vehicles, but the BMV doesn't know
>about them so they give you either farm plates or classic car plates.
>
>I looked at the CDL manual in Indaina and sure enough my M51 dump with a
heavy
>tag trailer would qualify as a Class A vehicle. Looks like I might need to
>rent or borrow a heavy tag trailer and go for it. I think I had better go
>interview the licensing examiner first to make sure this is going to fly.
 They