RE: [MV] jeep/truck

From: Russell Hill (russell@cyberport.com)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 07:56:25 PST

I just kept my mouth shut during this interaction with the MVD. Things were
going my way - they were registering the M51A2. During my first visit they
"inspected" it (bitching about having to step up on the running board to see
the ID number - "we're not supposed to have to do that") - and told me I'd
have to register it in Sante Fe (state capitol) because it was a heavy
truck. Then they told me they wouldn't transfer the title because I didn't
have a bill of sale - just the signed title. By the time I'd gotten a bill
of sale sent from Ohio they had obviously forgotten exactly what it was and
were confused by the word "jeep" in the manufacturer's name. They gave me a
car plate, then called me to exchange it for a "weight distance" plate for
heavy trucks (still not exactly sure what that refers to). It took four
trips to the MVD but I ended up with a valid license plate/registration so
I'm happy!

Russell
La Plata, NM