Re: [MVlist] HELP

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 22:22:22 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Milstuf" <milstuf@home.com>
<MVlist@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2001 2:04 AM
Subject: [MVlist] HELP

> I have a Scorpion Tank and am going to instal some radios

Well, to be strictly accurate it isn't a tank at all. FV101 is the Fire
Support Vehicle of the Combat Vehicle, Reconnaissance (tracked) family -
CVR(T). However 60MPH "tank" can be quite fun but do not ever change gear
when steering since the turn radius demand is interlocked with the gear
selector, you could suddenly find it understeering dangerously when changing
up or conversely oversteering on a down shift.

Also do not make the mistake of thinking it has a Jaguar XJ engine and so
any old rust-bucket 4.2 - XJ6 will be a source of engine parts, it only
looks like it and is based on the XJ lump, everything inside is different.

>I dont know what
> was in this one but I have found a selector switch like used with VRC 10

I think that's the designation for Clansman systems, quite a bit about here.

> stuff looked in the manuel I have on this beast and found this S/R
stations
> C42/B47 or C13/B47or C13/C42 and I for sure dont have a clue what this
means

This is the standard vehicle TX/RX equipment superseded by the Clansman
family of comms devices, again fairly plentiful here and I think I saw some
in the recent MVT green sheet (members ads).

> also I have found what looks like a mount for a RT70.I have a problem
> getting in this darn thing if I was 30 years younger and 100lbs lighter I
> could do it easy.Please someone help me on this

You're lucky.
With a damaged back and somewhat long and inflexible legs I cannot gain
entry at all, but do remember these things were made for trained, fit and
flexible 20 something squaddies not us old farts.

Apparently you can quite easily replace the front deck with a single sheet
of ply that hinges from the front like a car hood (bonnet), makes life very
simple indeed for the circumferentially and chronologically challenged.
(Fat, old farts in non-PC).

Richard.