Re: [MV] rust removal

From: mtowers (mtowers@texas.net)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 19:03:53 PST

Hi Guys:
I'm sure you salty old Navy guys could tell us all about rust control and
painting. My little brother was in the Navy, and he tells me he did his
share.

However, down here in Texas, we have a few oil fields and some occasional
oil field scrap. Now oil field scrap is a rancher's dream because it is
a)space flight rated as far as strength and quality is concerned, and
b)cheap to free. So, we us a lot of oil field scrap for structural steel
instead of new stuff. We especially use drill stem and upset tubing and
sucker rods for building barns and fences and stuff. Structurally, this
stuff will last several generations if it's built right.

The only problem is that it is usually rusty when we get it. So, we simply
brush on ample doses of something called Osopho. It's blue, comes in gallon
jugs, and I think its primary ingredient is phosporic acid. It's relatively
cheap and works great. Just let it dry and then blow off the excess with
air, then paint over--it acts as primer.

Be carefull with the Osopho--wear gloves and safety glasses--you don't want
this stuff on you, especially in your eyes.

Second tip: go to your friendly local paint store (REAL paint store, not
Wally World) and tell the guy you're a poor farmer and want all his oil
based mistakes. Then haggle...you'll get 'em cheap ($5-$10/gallon). THEN,
tell him you want it all to be black. He can add the tint to the mistakes
and YOU have first quality AND cheap paint for painting over the Osopho
with. Works great on all kinds of stuff and lasts a long time.

Have fun!

Mike T.
M35A2C
and a bunch of other stuff