Re: [MV] Attaching Disk (ID Unit etc) To Spare Tire

From: Colin Stevens (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Sat Mar 31 2001 - 22:29:39 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Cobb" <Bob.Cobb@wku.edu>
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2001 7:57 AM
> Can anyone advise what was the preferred method for attaching 16 inch disk
to the spare tires on jeeps? (In this case, an MP designator.)
***** I have one of these discs used by the Canadian Militia (it's OK
American friends - the Militia in Canada is an honourable government force.
It is our reserve army). I purchased the disc from the estate of Pat Smith
(a Past President of MVCC/MVPA) who had served as a military policeman. The
disc is 20-1/8" in diameter, black (all sides and edges), wood, plywood,
3/4" thick, with flat white lettering 2-1/2" high professionally
hand-painted. The wording is MILITARY in an arc across the top, POLICE in a
straight line in the middle, and MILITAIRE in an arc across the bottom.
(bilingual English-French). There was no bracket with it. Originally it was
mounted via four holes drilled about 8-1/2" apart (horizontal measurement)
and 6" apart (vertical measurement).These holes were filled in and painted
over. Two fresh 1/4" holes were drilled at 2 o'clock and 8 o'clock. These
are 3 to 3-1/4" in from the outside edge. I did find a newspaper photograph
of this sign (or its twin) mounted on an M38A1CDN2 (made 1967-68) or
M38A1CDN3 (made 1970-71) jeep.

> According to the TM.. "the disk will be attached to the center of the >
spare wheel on the rear of the vehicle. The sign will be locally fabricated
from 16 gauge sheet metal. The disk will be attached by means of a bracket
made from strap iron, 1 inch wide and 1/8 thick."

> I can think of a number of ways this might be done, but was wondering if
someone might know of a "best or preferred" way. ...
***** I do NOT know how it was attached to the spare tire. I consulted one
of my Canadian Army vehicle marking manuals and it does not specify how it
was to be attached.

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
Editor: "Maple Leaf Up!" newsletter & Webmaster
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
(Established 1977)
British Columbia, CANADA
Owner of:
1944 Willys MB jeep (ex-Norway)