WW2 USN Translation Update

From: Dennis O'Connor (oconnor01@snet.net)
Date: Sun Apr 01 2001 - 18:26:38 PDT

Hi List,
    It's been quite a while and the help I got before was great so I thought
I should update for anyone that ever wondered what happened. I finally got
the service record back on my deceased father-in-law's USN time. The AGS and
AGC hid DD214 had on it meant Armed Guard School and Armed Guard Center. The
armed guards in this case are not Shore Patrol or anything of the kind but
means USN gun crews assigned to armed merchant vessels like Liberty ships!
Quite a departure from what we had envisioned to say the least! He had
sailed on one tanker and two LIberty ships in his year and eight months in
the service adn now we knoe the names and dates of the sailings so the trail
is much much fresher to follow and there are plenty of resources. For anyone
with curiosity there's an excellent website dedicated to these brave men
(and some women too) who fought from slow moving targets in convoys and
alone to keep everything supplied and moving. The URL is www.armed-guard.com
and there are links to other sites I'm just starting to explore if I can
ever get through all the stuff in that site. We still don't know why he was
in a USN hospital but that will surface in time as well. Fun playing with
the HMVs and fun researching as always. Now if I can find pics of the
Brooklyn Armed Guard Center vehicles other than the bus I already found we
have a basis for painting a jeep gray! That would be unusual and I can get
behind something like that for sure.

Take Care,
Dennis O'Connor