Re: [MV] Cdn. 151A2 Brush Guards.

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@wheeldog.net)
Date: Sun Apr 01 2001 - 18:49:17 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Wiehe" <j.wiehe@sympatico.ca>
Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2001 2:04 PM
Subject: [MV] Cdn. 151A2 Brush Guards.

> Ken & Colin,
> I have a book on the M151 from Verlinden Publications
called
> WARMACHINES No. 14. In this book there are only 2 pictures of the 151
mutts
> with what I think is the brush guard that you are talking about.
> One picture is of a Can. For. 151A2 and the other is a U.S. 82nd Airborne
151A2.
> Both pictures show what appears to be a square metal
framed bracket
> with what I think they call or called expanded metal in the middle. This
is just bolted
> over the front of the radiator openning on the outside of the grille. It
does not appear
> to be that hard to make or have made up.
> I must say that I'm sorry but I do not have a scanner or
I could send you
> a copy of these two pictures.

Yes, one of the collectors in our local MVPA chapter has his vehicle done up
CDN right to the nuts, and has retained both the "Z-arm" mount for the .30
cal and that uniquely Canadian brush-guard modification which quite
literally is a piece of heavy-guage metal 'mesh' bordered by flat bar and
screwed onto the existing 151A2 brushguard. I had one on my vehicle too,
but thought it looked too much like a ham-handed mod and unceremoniously
ditched it.

There's another Canadian mod done to almost all of the 151's (in addition to
those mentioned by Colin, and our horrific home-grown version of the U.S.
ROPS cage), and that was the relocation of the rear-view mirrors from the
windshield brackets to the fenders midway between the blackout driving lamp
and the windshield. I've heard various reasons why this was done, but the
one that makes sense has much to do with the fact that the doors and
side-curtains were seldom removed from Canadian MUTTs, and after awhile,
trying to observe the mirror through muddied, scratched, pseudo-transparent
plexi material became a bit of a chore, if not downright impossible. The
square mirror heads and the support arm were retained, and a second one of
roughly equal length was added as a sort of backstay - the whole assembly
mounted to the fender directly with bolts or screws. Now, as one might
expect, the wind and overland conditions placed quite a strain on the
mirrors and their mountings - far too much for the guage of material
comprising the fenders - and as the metal ripped itself up with the force,
maintenance facilities merely relocated the mirrors a centimeter or so
either side of the original mounting and hoped for the best. Mine had
something like twelve holes a side and more than a few MIG-able rips in the
metal, and the film company I sub for has another suffering from the same
malaise, though the mirrors remain mounted Canadian-fashion.

I know there are a few of the brushguards kicking around the local club, so
if anyone really wants one, I can make some enquiries.

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211
Vancouver, B.C.