Re: [MV] HELP

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@wheeldog.net)
Date: Sun Apr 01 2001 - 19:03:32 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas M McHugh" <tmmchugh@juno.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2001 5:07 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] HELP

> I have a VRC 10 Radio for my M38A1.
>
> I do not have a switch not the MT 299 Radio Mount.
>
> If you find that you do not need the switch, please let me know. I could
> use it.
>
> Do you know of a source for an MT 299 mount ???

Switch? I can't quite work out what you're asking, but Fair Radio Sales in
Lima, OH used to have tons and tons of the older VRC family stuff, and were
blowing it out fairly reasonably. From what I recall without delving into
the filing cabinet, radio sets VRC-8 through 10 all use the same mount, with
the variation between designations referring only to the frequency range
covered by each unit (like the same-era PRC sets.) They also have the
multi-conductor WM-46(?) cable for wiring up the intercom boxes and _used_
to have the 'dogbone' that went from RT-PP as well. Dunno if they still
do - I've not seen a catalog for several years.

> On Fri, 30 Mar 2001 19:04:40 -0600 "Milstuf" <milstuf@home.com> writes:
> > I have a Scorpion Tank and am going to instal some radios I dont know
> > what
> > was in this one but I have found a selector switch like used with
> > VRC 10
> > stuff looked in the manuel I have on this beast and found this S/R
> > stations
> > C42/B47 or C13/B47or C13/C42 and I for sure dont have a clue what
> > this means
> > also I have found what looks like a mount for a RT70.I have a
> > problem
> > getting in this darn thing if I was 30 years younger and 100lbs
> > lighter I
> > could do it easy.Please someone help me on this
> > Carl

Speaking of C42 sets, our government (Canada) also used them during the "Buy
British!' phase of comms procurement, and the vast majority of them went
straight to the aluminum shredder (IN THE STATES!) rather than come through
Crown Assets. I remember just purchasing my M37 (ex-PPCLI radio truck
w/both 'boxes' still mounted on the fender), and asking my friend what sort
of radio equipment was normally installed in the sixties. He described the
C42 set in some detail, backed it up with a few illustrations, and what
should I find at the Crown Assets Cash-and-Carry sale that very weekend but
each and every component of a one-set station arranged lovingly on a shelf
at the back waiting for someone like me to cart it all away. That was 1984,
and I still have it.

For those interested, I also bought a bunch of the sets and power supplies
(but NO other accessories - no dogbones, no junction boxes, no mounting
trays or hardware of any shape, form, size or description whatsoever), and I
think I can spare a couple of each if anyone's in desperate need of one for
their restoration. I can't remember if they worked or not when I stored
them, so in the absence of further information - caveat emptor. Contact me
off-list if interested.

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211
Vancouver, B.C.