Re: [MV] Jacking a 5 tonner?

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 20:27:05 PDT

DaveCole <davidcole@tk7.net> wrote:
> I have to jack up the forward rear axle on my 5 ton to remove one set of
> duals. How should I do this?? The jack (long frame 5 ton) won't reach
> under the that axle housing - can't get the right angle.

I haven't jacked up a 5-ton, but I've had all 6 wheels of my deuce off
the ground (and off the truck!) at once:

    http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/greentruck/truck1/p11.jpg

Notice that I chocked one front wheel for safety. :-)

I don't quite understand what you mean about getting the wrong angle.
Are you trying to use a rolling floor jack? I used an ordinary 12-ton
hydraulic bottle jack. I think a deuce would normally carry an 8-ton
jack as standard equipment, but I bought a slightly larger one at
Sears, because I just like to use a jack rated to lift the entire GVWR
of the vehicle, so I have plenty of overkill. :-) I used about 6
inches of wood blocks under the jack, and jacked up the wheels one at
a time, doing first one rear axle, then the other. Then, since I'm
anal-retentive, I re-lifted the first rear axle and re-set the jack
stands, in case they shifted at all when I pivoted the bogie up while
lifting the second axle. Finally, I lifted the front axle.

> Should I put the jack under the center pivot trunnion and raise the
> entire right rear side? I don't want to damage the trunnion.

I think it's better to jack the axle housings, near the wheels. A
bottle jack should do the job, though it'll probably need to be set on
blocks to lift high enough. Also, pumping it will require crawling
under the vehicle (unless you have an expensive air-powered one, or
the kind that's mounted on a rolling trolley with a long handle), so
you must be VERY careful to make sure that no part of your body will
be in the path of a wheel or any other part of the truck if it falls.

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/