Re: [MV] M1010 Electrical woes

From: Michael Howell (michael@tsixroads.com)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 21:02:26 PDT

I have worked through the same problem on my ambulance. I got it from a DRMO in
Montgomery Al. I don't think the military ever had this one working right. It
had a new wheel well and other parts suggesting that it had had a battery
explosion. The ambulance system is different than the other CUCV's. In the
ambulance the bottom alternator applies 28 volts across both batteries. The top
alternator puts out 28 volts also, but it is routed through a voltage regulator
on the left fender (blue box under a black plastic cover next to the washer
fluid container). This is suppose to put 14 volts across the front battery. IF
the system is working right the cab voltmeter will read 28 volts and you will
get 14 volts across the posts of each battery. Since you say you are getting 28
volts across both batteries the next step is to see what each battery is
reading. I bet the front one is reading about 11 to 12 and back is reading 16
to 18.

TO fix mine, I had to go through the 20 series TM and then go through the 30
series TM. I had to replace the blue voltage reg on mine and it still doesn't
do a good job of keeping the batteries charged.

Another tip is to unhook the ground if you aren't going to drive it in a few
days. My batteries will go dead in about a week if left hooked up.

Mike
Tishomingo, MS