Re: [MV] Howard and Halon (was Jeep pictures)

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Sun Apr 08 2001 - 17:34:30 PDT

>I don't know about Methyl Bromide but Halon is not a CFC.

Well...... actually it is. There is more than one kind of Halon also. One
kind is the same as Freon R13B1. Another is Halon 1211 which needs to be
presurised with nitrogen. Both have Bromine in them. Then there is
Halotron-1 which is different yet.

> It is legal to
>use for fire suppression here in the USA but boy is it expensive.

You need a certificate of need from the EPA to use Halon.

> It is
>also toxic if you are sealed in a room with it (you will not survive).

Not exactly, it is an asphixiant however. Methyl Bromide on the other hand
is toxic. Actually Halon has a lower asphixiation potential (less
dangerious if you please) than C02.

later,

je