WARNING

From: Emmett Thompson (kt4al@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 09:25:45 PDT

After rebuilding an engine and letting it "break in" on the bench after
about 30 minutes and while busy with something on the other side of the shop
I noticed a very different sound in the engine, turned around to look and
noted LOTS of blue smoke coming out of the exhaust pipes. I ran over and
shut down the engine.

Much to my surprise the engine that holds 2 quarts of oil now had 5 quarts
of very thin oil smelling of gas.........Yep, you guessed it.
The fuel pump was NOS and after taking it apart I found that the rubbery
type compound that covers the diaphragm was not there. Just looked like
cloth.
I was told that the new gas has alcohol in it and will ruin these types of
diaphragms.

I now have 2 complete rebuilds to my credit on that engine and it cost me
another $200.00 not to mention gobs of time on my part.

I think I have located someone that will make me new diaphragms but I have
to figure out how to install them in the pump.

BEWARE........
New fuel does not work well with old materials.

Regards
Emmett