RE: [MV] Hood numbers

From: John Hutterer (john.hutterer@deltec.com)
Date: Wed Apr 11 2001 - 05:29:32 PDT

Sandman,

Interesting question. According to TB 746-95-1, "Color, Marking, and
Camouflage Pattern Painting for Armament Command Equipment" (May 1976),
Section III, paragraph 9 (b), "Registration numbers will be removed from all
equipment. Registration numbers will be placed near the data plates on the
interior of the equipment." So, unless your M1008 is older than May of 1976,
it shouldn't have any "hood numbers" on the exterior. By "hood number" I
assume that you are referring to the USA number. No offence intended, but
your vehicle should never have had any exterior serial/USA numbers. I have
seen many CUCV's and M880 series Dodges with the USA number stenciled on the
underside of the hood, so that it is visible when the hood is opened. I have
also seen the numbers stenciled on the rear window of pickups, and on the
rear wall of the cab, behind the seat. With that being said, there is
nothing that stops you from stenciling the USA number on the hood of your
vehicle, if you want to.

John