Re: WWII Specific MV List

From: Douglas Greville (dgrev@ruralnet.net.au)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 16:44:24 PDT

Mike

> You, I or anyone else can belong to as many lists as like. You're a
> member of two lists, I'm a member of 14. I don't see how having more
> outlets to promote the various aspects of this hobby, somehow hurting
> it. If Jim, or anyone else that has a list, makes a positive
> contribution to the hobby, why give them a hard time?

To borrow a famous saying "united we stand, divided we fall". I have
tried hard not to give Jim "a hard time", I have not attacked him
personally (and see no point in doing so) as although I do not "know"
Jim I recognise his name and email address and know he has made
worthwhile contributions to the list in the past.

...Jim... nothing personal mate. Difference of opinion.

I am however arguing the case from the opposing view. So hopefully, if
one day I meet him at Beltring or where ever , he will say hello rather
than spit at me.

I do not recognise your name or email address, were you "here" for the
"Form 9" epic? I can predict your first question "what's that got to do
with an Aussie?" Simple, we are in a minor hobby, which by its nature
is highly visible and perceived as war mongering and an easy target for
the do-gooders and politicians. What happens in the USA or Britain, due
to the tendancy of politicians world wide to copy each other's "bright"
ideas will sooner or later have an effect on me living in the Outback of
Australia. Are you aware of the ongoing fight the European Vintage Car
movement is having against what Americans call "clunker laws", what
would their chances of success be if they were divided up into brand
and era groups?

I wonder were it not for the more vocal members of the list
getting together (Stuart and Earl and some others?) would the Form 9
think have been modified for Warbirds only? We will never know to what
degree the continuing flak the MVPA got from members of the eHMV
community spurred that organistaion in their response.
To my knowledge the common link was Mil-Veh-List?
A general list (or 2, given the problems of Mil-Veh) are a UNIFYING
force in this hobby. Having splinter factions is of dubious merit.
As for belonging to 14 lists, that is your perogative, personally, I
just don't have the time or my wife the tolerance, for me to wade
through the hundreds of emails so generated.

In the end, we will all do as we individually please.

Regards
Doug

                 Armoured Vehicles Collector
        _______
      _/_(_o_)_\_ ____
    _/|___|_|___|\_ /____\
   / [___] [___] \ Douglas Greville _/[o]___\_
  /\_ [o] [o] _/\ Broken Hill __/=_|____|_=\__
  |w|\u u/|w| Australia |w| \ / |w|
          M8 Ferret

                     dgrev@ruralnet.net.au