Re: [MV] Importing MUTT to the US

From: Henry & Kate Cubillan (cubillan@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Apr 14 2001 - 07:14:33 PDT

Legality may be an issue. According to US Customs and DOT importation
laws, a vehicle may be imported into the US from another country,
regardless of whether it passes DOT/EPA certifications, IF the vehicle
is at least 25 years old. For 2001, that's 1976 or older, so your friend
cannot use this clause. Now it gets more complicated. If a vehicle was
assembled in the US to US specs and was later exported, then it can be
brought back to the US, provided it has not been modified in any way
while outside of the country. There is an issue of proof, I suggest you
look into this with US Customs. If the vehicle was manufactured in the
US to a different spec, it CANNOT be imported into the US. In your case,
I doubt the vehicle can be imported, since MUTT's weren't even
technically supposed to be in civilian hands (certainly not by the end
of production), and this one exceeds the period where they were
assembled for the US military by more than five years, I doubt it can be
done.
Some of the above may not apply to MV's, the bulk of my experience with
importation is with passenger cars and light trucks.

--
Henrique Cubillan		         TLCA#4080
1991 FJ62LG-MN	                   Herndon, VA USA