Battery Charging rule of thumb

From: Ron (rojoha@mediaone.net)
Date: Sat Apr 14 2001 - 15:02:06 PDT

While wandering through the manuals I've down loaded, I came across this
info on recharging rates:

    a. When uncontrolled, a high charging rate (current flow) will generate
excessive heat, which if allowed to continue, will warp the battery plates
and ruin the battery. And since battery construction varies, it is
impossible to specify a "safe" charging rate to fit all batteries. However,
if the 8-hour discharge rate of a battery is known, applying a charging rate
no higher than the 8-hour discharge rate will be satisfactory for charging a
battery.

NOTE
To determine the 8-hour discharge rate of a battery, divide the ampere-hour
rating of the battery by 8. For example, if a battery is
rated at 40 ampere- hours, 40 divided by 8 equals 5 amperes. Thus, applying
a 5-amp charging rate will be satisfactory.