[MV] Rust question

From: BrOKE-|nC (dahorse@jvlnet.com)
Date: Sat Apr 14 2001 - 15:11:53 PDT

I am sort of new here but..living in Wisconsin I know allot about rust. I
have a car trailer I have owned for years, and regardless of what I do it
is rusting away. I got aggressive with it and had it acid dipped and got
all the rust out of the square tube it is built out of...then I coated the
entire underneath and inside of the tubes with a product called "Tectyl"
that is suppose to be a "mil-spec" treatment. And exact quote is "Tectyl
517 meets the OPL Requirements of Mil-C-62218 for Rust Proofing " you can
get more info and purchase it here http://www.aliveweb.com/protectants.html
I personally bought mine from a individual that used to sell it, but due to
cost no longer does. But yes it does work;-)

Other things I have seen used with good results are simple attention to
detail, coating all "pinch welds" areas with a rust converter sealant,
covering all bare metal areas with paint (easier said than done but be
creative) I have used a device used to siphon water I built for air hose
off compressor, to siphon paint and powerfully blow it into all sorts of
interesting places....but if you do not treat/remove any current rust paint
does no good. And in end trying to seal metal channels etc I thinks cause
more issues then if left open and kept clean and allowed to be exposed to
air. Also in many classic cars found in garages a dehumidifier run in an
enclosed cab can do wonders;-)

Others protective coatings I have seen work are:
http://www.minidata.co.nz/arnolds/
This one being incredible but...pricey and messy...but would be ideal for
inside areas if ya could figure way to spray it (requires a heated gun)
take a look below at
  http://www.e-cats.com/globalcorrosion/snokote.htm
hope this helps sum
Norm