Weasel Question

From: Michael Riley (MRiley@avt-hq.com)
Date: Sun Apr 15 2001 - 07:25:52 PDT

Hello,

A couple of M-29 Weasel questions for those 'in-the-know'.

I am thinking of buying a 1944 M-29C Weasel (for good or ill).
(Any comments on that statement alone ??)

The one that I have located and am looking at appears to be equipped
with tracks with steel shoes.
I'm sure my neighbours (and the local county government) would not be
pleased if I was to drive it around my neighbourhood (old asphalt
roads). I'm sure it would tear up the road and probably not do me or
the Weasel any good either.
(I don't have much, if any, access to any real 'off-road' areas.)

Are tracks available that are equipped with rubber shoes or something
that is a easier on both the roads and the driver for hard surfaces ??

If so, what is a ball-park estimate for a set ??

Another factor affecting my decision is transportation.
The Weasel is located near Greensboro, NC and I am near Annapolis, MD.
A one-way distance of about 250 miles (my estimate).

Any ideas on how to move it ??

I've checked with a local towing company about having them drive their
roll-back down there to fetch it and bring it back. Their 'over the
phone' estimate was about $820.00 - seems like there might be a more
cost effective way. Hoping someone has an idea or two.

Thank you in advance for the help and advice.

                Mike.