WHY WE GOT CAUGHT - WE WERE STUPID

From: aussierob (aussierob@odyssey.net)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 07:04:06 PDT

YEP We were totally "Virus Stupid"

Hello list, this is off topic... however NOBODY mentions this very important
fact to "update weekly"!
I have read all the threads and most people are just plain lucky.
...and then we whine when we get caught.

You ABSOLUTELY MUST Update your "protection" weekly !

Download the DAT files from your virus protection company web page. It
should be free for the first 12 mo.

If your system is more than 12 months old you will have to send them a
subscription between $20 to $30 annually.!

ARE YOU BEING FOOLED - LIKE WE WERE !
Often when you turn on your computer the screen will show a quick logo of
your virus protection.
So, you must be safe right?

This does NOT mean you have the latest protection against dozens of NEW
virus's

Our newest computer was 2 months old when we noticed a weird occurance and
lockup.

Within 1 week the computer was dead.

Where the hell was my protection to my new computer ?

NO ...It did not fail !
We, Me, I ...just did not download the latest "dat" files at least weekly !

I saw the protection shield each time we turned on the computer
I did the scan thing automatically ...once per week.

Not good enough ...bucko !

We lost both computers within one week. Both had a different virus!

How do you find the dat files ?
Go to the web page of you Virus Protection Co.
It will probably cost you for a 12 month protection plan
This means you can weekly update your protection

Eventually the computers failed to even start up!
We had to get a guy in to reload / restart both
THE REPAIR COST WAS EQUAL TO 5 YEARS ANNUAL UPDATE FEES TO McAffee and
Norton
Silly Mistake ..eh!

Now we update once per week.
We scan automatically every night at 2:00am
In march 2001 we stopped 3 infections in their tracks and advised the
sender.
This sender was a friend whom we trusted.
He did not know that he passed it on.
He did not know about the regular downloads either!!!

Rob P.
upstate, NY
'42mb