WC53 Carryall Restoration Entry #34

From: Chris Davis (cdavis@webworldinc.com)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 09:37:59 PDT

Working front to back on the driver's side. I had to do some angle grinder
maintenance, so I'm only up to the door.

Thanks for all the responses on the tar problem. Here's a list of options
I've been given so far:

Acetone
Naptha
MEK - cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil to stop evaporation
WD-40
Kerosene
Turpentine
Mineral Spirits
Lacquer Thinner
Diesel Fuel
Gasoline
Number 2 home heating fuel
Stoddard Solvent
Goo-Gone
Olive Oil

Tar remover
Gasket remover
Undercoating remover
Dry cleaning solvent
Elbow grease (in combination with one of the above)

Wife's hair dryer
Low heat torch and a 1 inch putty knife
Propane torch
Blow torch

Wire wheel (as it won't clog like an abrasive wheel)

Freeze it with dry ice (or liquid nitrogen) and chip it off with a (no pun
intended) cold chisel.

And, finally: "Take a look to the attachment. - Setup.pif"
Which, despite my curiosity, looks too much like a virus to actually risk
opening.

Most of the options listed above involve flammable liquids. I'm working in
a slightly bigger than Carryall size plastic tent, using an electric tool
with sparking brushes, so explosive fumes might not be a good thing. I
think I'll wait until I've stripped the rest before I go after the tar.

Thanks everyone!

Chris Davis
MVPA# 20000
Lake Forest, CA