Re: Infected computer - not easy to fix!

From: Douglas Greville (dgrev@ruralnet.net.au)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 15:56:23 PDT

Andreas & others

> > Anyone know who this guy is and have land line access to him? K

Now that is a good idea.

> God that NORTON Anti Virus checked the email and deleted the infected
> attachment.

I got home from Adelaide and downloaded all my email yesterday and then
started reading it in date order (doing it the other way is too
confusing) and yes, it got me. I then read the warnings and thought
"uh oh" so went to the info site using the link so kindly provided
by Rikk Rogers (ta mate). Then I uploaded the latest virus update for
Norton AV 2001 and one and guess what? It could identify the virus but
was incapable of deleting the files "Kern32.exe" and "Hkk32.dll" so
after much fruitless effort I inserted a Win 98 boot disk in the floppy
drive and rebooted and did a DOS delete. That got the bugger!
I will also mention that I discovered the virus without having rebooted
so to the best of my knowledge it didn't get activated.

The moral of the above story is that if you did get the virus through
opening the attachment then check your C:\windows\system directory for
the 2 files I mention above, they may still be there?

> Check his location and send him a cruise missile!

Compulsory MV content: Andreas - V1 or V2? :-)

Regards
Doug

                 Armoured Vehicles Collector
        _______
      _/_(_o_)_\_ ____
    _/|___|_|___|\_ /____\
   / [___] [___] \ Douglas Greville _/[o]___\_
  /\_ [o] [o] _/\ Broken Hill __/=_|____|_=\__
  |w|\u u/|w| Australia |w| \ / |w|
          M8 Ferret

                     dgrev@ruralnet.net.au