Re: [MV] 1985 CUCV starting problem - HELP!

From: Chris Stansbury (chris_stansbury@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 07:39:54 PDT

Hey Sam,
Are you sure your first starter was dead? If you still have it I'd get it
checked at a shop. There is a starting relay under the dash that is
notorious for dying. My CUCV started great 'till I got it home from the
salvage yard and then it just wouldn't turn over. The glow relay was the
only thing you could here clicking. The starter relay is under the dash
near the big round diagnostic plug. It's a shiny silver metal relay. I
took mine out and took the relay energizing wire and extended it out to the
engine compartment. Then I hooked that up to a remote Ford (I know it's a
crime) starter solenoid. On the hot side of the solenoid I put the 24v wire
that goes to energize the actual starter solenoid. Then on the other side I
ran the wire down to the starter. This has worked great for five years and
counting. My instuctions are probably a little vague, so write me off-list
if you need clarification. Also, one time, my hot 4 guage starter wire had
lost some of its insulation and it was grounding out against the manifold.
Yikes, but it was causing similar symptoms. Also, check your batt.
terminals and wires. I've had a corroded terminal prevent starting before.
Corrosion loves to grow inside of batt. and starter wires too. Hope this
helps.
Sincerely,
Chris Stansbury MVPA #22215
Memphis, TN