Re: [MV] LIST€[MV] funny story

From: M35products@aol.com
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 15:10:50 PDT

Our Fire Dept operates one of these modified M35's, as do most of the FD's on
Long Island. We have thousands of acres of pine barrens that light up every
few years. (Usually started by some tourist's cigarette) The "roll cage" in
question, at least in our local application, is not for roll-over protection,
but to keep falling trees, branches, and other debris from damaging the cab,
windshield, grill, etc, and to protect the personnel riding in the rear
fire-fighting area from the same stuff.

It is fabricated from 3 inch steel tubing and creates a boat-like shape which
can slip through tight areas in the forests, pushing the trees aside, rather
than bulldozing them. The cage is not a substitute for common sense, and top
speeds are usually at the 5 mph point. An interesting feature is a pair a
steel hooks, at the top corners of the cab area, facing forward, and
sharpened, to snag hanging wires as they pass up and over the cab. The hooks
will cut through the wires, so that the truck won't pull down poles, siding
off of houses, etc. Skid plates are welded fore and aft of the front axle to
protect the tie rod and power steering equipment, in the event that the truck
rides up and over a stump.

A typical arrangement is to have a home-built 1000 gallon water tank mounted
in the cargo area, with a pump powered by a small two-cylinder engine.

A P Bloom.