M-715 someday at surplus auction

From: F. Brian Mead (brian@hardscrabblefarm.com)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 17:03:58 PDT

Howdy List,
        Last Tuesday, before the burning ban went into effect here in Georgia, we
had the forest service come out & do a controlled burn. Great fun, huge
fires, lots of mess, and a little more pasture in the end. Ok, so we still
gotta repile & burn again in the fall, but heck, it's progress...and a
great excuse to drive my MB all over my property for hours on end!
        Now for the MV section. As the fires burned, the forest service ranger &
I talked about MVs in the Forest Service. He says he tries to get rid of
the ex-military stuff as quick as possible & get civilian for ease of
getting replacement parts. He likes off the shelf ford & chevy
trucks. Hates working on anything 24 volt.
        Well, he's got a nice looking (from the road) M-715 that's kept under
cover that he's trying to get to the surplus depot in Atlanta. They will
not take it because they're full. He's been trying for quite a
while. It's the Spalding/Pike Counties Forest Service that's got it if
anyone is interested.
        Also he said one of the other offices nearby had some neat photos of jeeps
(maybe even a CJV35/U since they were somewhat common around here) with
fireplows attached to the back.

Later,
Brian Mead

For those Georgia guys here - I also saw an unrestored MB/GPW on HWY 41
between Griffin & Jonesboro a couple weeks ago. Had a "for sale" sign in
the window. It was on the east side of the road at a repair shop. Also
there's a M35 with convoy lights & a camo pattern for sale on HWY 81 just
north of McDonough.