Re: [MV] Merlin Engine

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 23:56:15 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jay" <dagobertii@home.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2001 4:34 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Merlin Engine

> Plus, let's keep it in perspective- I mean, 25 hours lifespan of a JET
> engine is not too bad compared to the Allies' jet fighter's engine at
> the same point in the war- that would be what; "0" hours? (Since we
> didn't HAVE an operational one in the field until after the war!!!)

That is incorrect.

The Allies had a jet fighter in service on 21 July 1944, four were sent to
the continent on 20 January 1945 but kept behind the lines and restricted to
allied air space for security reasons.

The first jet/jet combat occurred on 4 August 1944 against a V1 flying bomb.

Richard
Southampton - England