Re: [MV] Merlin Engine

From: J. Forster (jfor@onemain.com)
Date: Sat May 05 2001 - 15:25:17 PDT

Emmett Thompson wrote:

> Was it really a JET or a "pulse rocket"??? I believe it only had one speed
> and was basically a tube that injected fuel that was ignited. I do not
> believe (although I have been wrong on many occasions) it was a pure "jet"
> engine. I do not think it had compressor blades due to the fact that it
> needed a rocket jettison to get it going kinda like a "ram jet". OK call
> it a "pulse jet" but you would have a tough time controlling the thrust of
> either. Ram Jets are typically only used to assist take off thrust or
> something dropped from a platform that is producing a fair amount of
> airspeed. Ram jets tend to go "balls to the wall" at all times but a pulse
> jet's thrust is regulated by a timed amount of fuel introduced into the
> diffuser case.
> I guess we need to define what type of Jet we are talking about i.e.
> TURBOJET, RAMJET, or PULSEJET.

The V-1 was a pulsed ramjet. There were a set of venetian blind-like vanes at
the input. They opened to let in combustion air and were closed during the power
part of the cycle. I think it was essentially a relaxation oscillator, and had
only two operating modes: on and off. They were launched from a catapult (steam
or air driven ??) and/or had booster solids. I don't remember.

> If you were a pilot you would not want to be in an aircraft that you have no
> control of the thrust. That is why it was used as a "rocket". The only other
> thing that comes to mind is if you were Chuck Yeager and attached your butt
> to a Ramjet to brake a speed record, then "dead stick" the aircraft skidding
> on the ground with out the help of the accepted re useable landing gear.

That was centainly the Mercury astronaut's attitude.... Remember "Spam in a can"
?? They fought strongly for more control of the vehicle and mission.

> If I had to make a logical point the V1, V2, and variants of the X program
> (X15) they were not jets in its accepted category but merely "rockets" to
> achieve a speed record or and un manned bomb dropping from the sky to blast
> anything under it.

No argument.

> Opinions, Opinions, We all have one even if they all stink.

However, we are all the world's expert on our own opinions. ( Bruce Williams ??)

> BTW does anyone out there know the difference between a "MOTOR" and an
> "ENGINE" if so you might give credence to my opinion, if not look it up. You
> might be surprised.
>
> Regards
> Emmett
>
> P.S. I refuse to qualify my opinions by stating my job or credentials. I am
> just a MV collector.

Not moi?

Take care,