Re: [MV] Merlin Engine

From: Emmett Thompson (kt4al@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat May 05 2001 - 15:10:58 PDT

Was it really a JET or a "pulse rocket"??? I believe it only had one speed
and was basically a tube that injected fuel that was ignited. I do not
believe (although I have been wrong on many occasions) it was a pure "jet"
engine. I do not think it had compressor blades due to the fact that it
needed a rocket jettison to get it going kinda like a "ram jet". OK call
it a "pulse jet" but you would have a tough time controlling the thrust of
either. Ram Jets are typically only used to assist take off thrust or
something dropped from a platform that is producing a fair amount of
airspeed. Ram jets tend to go "balls to the wall" at all times but a pulse
jet's thrust is regulated by a timed amount of fuel introduced into the
diffuser case.
I guess we need to define what type of Jet we are talking about i.e.
TURBOJET, RAMJET, or PULSEJET.
If you were a pilot you would not want to be in an aircraft that you have no
control of the thrust. That is why it was used as a "rocket". The only other
thing that comes to mind is if you were Chuck Yeager and attached your butt
to a Ramjet to brake a speed record, then "dead stick" the aircraft skidding
on the ground with out the help of the accepted re useable landing gear.

If I had to make a logical point the V1, V2, and variants of the X program
(X15) they were not jets in its accepted category but merely "rockets" to
achieve a speed record or and un manned bomb dropping from the sky to blast
anything under it.

Opinions, Opinions, We all have one even if they all stink.

BTW does anyone out there know the difference between a "MOTOR" and an
"ENGINE" if so you might give credence to my opinion, if not look it up. You
might be surprised.

Regards
Emmett

P.S. I refuse to qualify my opinions by stating my job or credentials. I am
just a MV collector.