Re: [MV] Hows about a different thread: What did your company do in the war d...

From: M35products@aol.com
Date: Sat May 05 2001 - 18:56:30 PDT

In a message dated 5/5/01 5:13:39 PM Pacific Daylight Time, cckw@mediaone.net
writes:

<< I find it facinating what different companies did in WW2:

 FMC making Amtracs FMC stands for Food Machinery Corporation for example

 Chevrolet being the 2nd largest maker of aluminum forgings. Their cars and
 truck had alu pistons, that was all they did before the war with alu.

 What other oddities occured?

 Steve Keith AKA Dr Deuce

In addition to my small collection of MV's, I am a collector and operator of
old electric trains (most of them Lionel or compatible). There is a fringe
group among the 40,000 or so of my fellow members in the TCA (train
collectors assn) who try to find all the things that the Lionel Corp produced
during WW II. Some of them include: tafrail logs (a primitive
speedometer/odometer for ships) compasses/binacles for ships, telegraph keys
and sounders, searchlights, and, later on during the Cold War, radiological
measuring sets (commonly referred to as "Geiger Counters") Studying the many
little widgets made by the least expected sources can be an interesting
sidebar to MV collecting. a p bloom TCA # 23906