Re: [MV] WW II Military training camps in NH ??

From: Pete & Renee Davis (pandr@cybertours.com)
Date: Sat May 05 2001 - 19:26:01 PDT

Hello Paul,

I don't know about a "Fort" Stark in Portsmouth, NH, but I do know that
there
was a Camp Stark that held German POWs, many of whom were Afrika Korps
soldiers. The camp was located in northern NH and the prisoners worked
in the
woods for the paper companies. There was a book published a few years
ago
about the camp. It was written following a reunion of US and German
veterans
of the camp. The title was Stark Decency. I'm sorry, but I don't
remember the
author. I bought it, read it, gave it to my mother, and I believe she
gave it
to her library. If anyone's interested, I could ask her to look up the
particulars; she works there every week. Or maybe it could be found at
http://www.bibliofind.com

Good luck restoring your fire engine Bob. Please post some photos when
you're
done.

Pete Davis
pandr@cybertours.com