Re: [MV] Mosquito vs. B-17G

From: GIjeepsWW2@aol.com
Date: Sun May 06 2001 - 23:00:56 PDT

gwball@sympatico.ca writes:

<< You have to wonder if the money and resources which were poured into the
 Heavies had gone into a project like the Mossie. Thousands of them, at high
 speed and bombing with pinpoint accuracy >>

No you don't have to wonder. That was exactly the mistake that the Luftwaffe
made and it was a major factor in their defeat. Also, don't forget there was
a war being fought on the other side of the world and you needed airplanes
like the B-24 and B-29 to do the job over the Pacific. Lastly, I would say
that when I first read the subject line of this thread I was very confused.
There is virtually no compairison to be made between the B-17 and the
Mosquito. Why not compare the B-17 to the Martin B-10 and wonder why we ever
bothered to build those? The B-17 was designed, built and tested in the
early 1930s when the Mosquito wasn't even a larva yet.