Re: [MV] Mosquito vs. B-17G

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon May 07 2001 - 11:09:38 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Douglas Greville" <dgrev@ruralnet.net.au>
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2001 10:35 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Mosquito vs. B-17G

> Joe
>
> > There was one other difference between the 4 engine bombers and the
British
> > light bombers. The Americans in the heavy bombers flew during the
daytime.
> > There is a slight chance that this is the reason we lost so many crews.

It is entirely regrettable for the fighting men that American command ears
were closed to good counsel, there are four major instances:

Daylight bombing,
Erwin Rommel at Kasserine Pass,
Anzio.
Uncle Joe Stalin.

> As far as I have read, Mosquitos were used both day and night. All their
> most famous missions were in daylight eg Amien? prison breakout and
> Oslo? Gestapo HQ (surgical removal of a single building in the city
> centre).

We need to remember at the time even with fancy optics the mean average bomb
accuracy was 5 miles ! Mossies could and did carry huge loads of target
markers and were excellent at the job.

> > On the other hand, your idea of using all light bombers (two engines) is
the
> > same one Germany used in the Eastern Campaign. They decided that lots
of
> > twin engine bombers would be better than half as many heavy bombers.
This
> > concept didn't work out too well for them in Russia.
>
> Sorry, but disagree, you are overlooking one important point. The
> Germans
> used medium bombers eg He-111, Ju-88 and Do-17, all were slow. The
> Mosquito could out run most fighters barring those I listed and those
> types were not exactly plentiful.

It had a range and load very similar to the B-17 but at twice the speed,
unburdened was indeed a match for, or superior to contemporary single seat
fighters in a dog fight.

> > We would have needed an airbase in Germany in order to run bombing raids
> > with fighters. The limiting factor is called endurance.

?
2K miles + seems quite reasonable, same as a B-17.

> The Mosquito was a high speed bomber that was also made in a fighter
> variant. Lets ** LOOSELY ** compare it to a F-4 Phantom or Thud
> circa Vietnam with the B-52's being the equivalent to the B-17s and
> Lancasters.

A very good anology indeed.

> I don't have my reference books to hand to look up the data.
> But as I recall, Leonard Cheshire (Dambuster CO) used to do Pathfinder
> missions using a Mosquito and these were over Germany, though it is so
> long since I read all this that I don't remember if he went as far as
> Berlin or if he was flying something special.

"If one bomb falls on Berlin you may call me Meier" HG.

The first ever bombing of Berlin in WWII was by DH Mosquito.

Richard
Southampton - England