Re: [MV] Mosquito vs. B-17G

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon May 07 2001 - 11:36:29 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jay" <dagobertii@home.com>
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2001 3:27 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Mosquito vs. B-17G

> One other important factor against mass-production of Mosquitos vs.
> B-17s was the raw materials required. As it stood, we already used up a
> lot of the Stika Spruce used in aircraft, which only grows in a limited
> region of the west coast and Canada.

Ultimately almost 8,000 were made here though.

>To replace all those B-17s with
> wooden aircraft would have decimated the species, and would not have
> been nearly as practical in the same numbers as Boeing could produce
> aluminum aircraft.

The only "exotic" stuff used is balsa wood, the ply skins are quite mundane.

>Plus, while there were enough cabinet makers in
> England for the Mosquitos made there, I wonder if we would have had that
> kind of handmade workmanship available in the US- at least in large
> enough numbers to meet the production demands?

Hey, steady ! There's ten times the people in the US to this tiny island !

In fact the design using a moulded laminate technique was to minimise
skilled labour, most were built by young females drafted in with quite small
demands on additional skilled craftsmanship to complete the airframe.

> However, the one thing I am suprised at is the fact that the Mosquito is
> not a more popular choice among homebuilders of experimental WWII
> replica aircraft. It would seem a natural, done in 7/8s scale, and
> using converted Chevy big-block V-8s. Hmmm... Anyone have a set of
> plans for one of these handy? :-)

It would be nice and likely only possible in the US, failing that we may
have to rely on someone like Kermit Weeks to re-build a real one, after he's
done with the Tempest V that is. . . . . . . . !

Richard
Southampton - England