Re: [MV] WW II Military training camps in NH ??

From: paul carrier (paulc@teleport.com)
Date: Mon May 07 2001 - 22:40:41 PDT

At 10:24 PM 5/5/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello Paul,
>
>I don't know about a "Fort" Stark in Portsmouth, NH, but I do know that there
>was a Camp Stark that held German POWs, many of whom were Afrika Korps
>soldiers. The camp was located in northern NH and the prisoners worked in the
>woods for the paper companies. There was a book published a few years ago
>about the camp. It was written following a reunion of US and German veterans
>of the camp. The title was Stark Decency. I'm sorry, but I don't remember the
>author. I bought it, read it, gave it to my mother, and I believe she gave it
>to her library. If anyone's interested, I could ask her to look up the
>particulars; she works there every week. Or maybe it could be found at
>http://www.bibliofind.com

I've had suspicions that some of the "forts" may have been camps. But then
Some "camps", like Camp White in southern Oregon was the home to an entire
division.
I believe the distinction is that a Fort is intended to be permanent while
a camp is
not. Of course the facility I work at has been in existence since at least
as early as 1902

>Good luck restoring your fire engine Bob. Please post some photos when you're
>done.
>
>Pete Davis
>pandr@cybertours.com

SSG Paul D. Carrier