Re: [MV] WW II Military training camps in NH ??

From: Pete & Renee Davis (pandr@cybertours.com)
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 18:17:56 PDT

Hello Paul,

I believe you're right that the distinction between Fort and Camp is permanent vs
temporary. Also, Forts would have been garrisoned by US soldiers, while POW Camps
would have been built for enemy soldiers. (But then again, the University of Maine
at Orono still uses the "temporary" wooden classroom building constructed during
W.W.II.) There were several Coastal Defense Forts in both Maine and NH. They
guarded the approaches to Portsmouth, Portland and the Kennebec River in ME. They
are all parks nowadays and the gun emplacements and underground structures are
still in place.

Pete Davis
pandr@cybertours.com