Re: [MV] M4 or M5 HST

From: islander (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 14:35:01 PDT

Hi Keith,

>What is the difference between the M4 and the M5 High Speed Tractor. I've
>found one that I believe is a M4, but not sure. Pretty stripped down with a
>crane mounted, in middle. No cab or anything above deck but dash and drivers
>seat.

Hmmm... stripped down it can be tough without pictures. The sizes were
pretty much identical, as were the weights, so that isn't going to help
much here. My advice is to look at the drive and rear idler wheels. If
the drive wheel looks like a Sherman, and the rear idler wheel looks like
a Stuart, then you have found yourself a M4. The M5 had a smaller rear
idler and a drive wheel that looks more like something off a post war APC
or tank.

Sorry I can't be more help than that.

Steve