Re: [MV] RT524

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@wheeldog.net)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 21:25:55 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Emmett Thompson" <kt4al@worldnet.att.net>
Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2001 3:57 PM
Subject: [MV] RT524

> Does anyone out there have or know where I can locate the schematic
drawings
> for the RT-524???
> I am attempting to fix the power supply in mine.

I don't know what the particular problem is with your set, but as a general
note to you and others, the main power switch on the radio marked
"OFF-BREAKER RESET" typically, well...doesn't.

If you have a peek beneath the covers and observe the action of the
mechanical levers put in motion by the control, you'll see that they try to
'reset' two circuit-breakers (they look like small toggle switches) mounted
to the backside of the front panel. My bet is that one of them has reset,
but the second is being stubborn. Take a long, thin, blade-type screwdriver
and very, very carefully push the toggle over until it stays in the extreme
position all by its' lonesome. Try not to disturb, spike, spindle, fold or
mutilate any of the wiring in the immediate vicinity, because it's no fun
trying to track it later.

When your radio suffers from this particular problem (usually because your
6707 AMU is full of sky-juice, if memory serves), you'll generally have no
transmit, and more often than not a squelch that won't quiet - i.e., 'hiss'
in most positions, and possibly all.

The other headache on the ones I've played with is the bank of power
transistors in the heat-sink assembly mounted in the side of the casing.
They used both germanium and silicon types in this assembly, and though they
invariably blow singly, they must be replaced in pairs or the remaining half
of the pair will soon join its' ancestors after a few hits of the pressel
switch.

I've also had the sodding relays stick for no good reason (usually disuse),
and have had some evil rotter clip miscellaneous wires leading to the A9000
female sockets which aren't obvious unless you disassemble half the set.
Guess that sort of demil beats the type involving big men with bigger
broad-axes, but still seems wholly unnecessary, and caused many hours of
needless frustration.

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211
Vancouver, B.C.