Re: [MV] Towing the 40mm AA

From: Colin Stevens (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Wed May 09 2001 - 06:47:04 PDT

Normal towing vehicle for the Bofors 40 mm was the "Truck, 30 Cwt, 4x4, LAA
Tractor (LAAT). Chevrolet C30 or Ford. Crew of nine. One crewmember sat in
rear, facing the rear, controlling cable operated Bofors gun brakes.

Gary Moonie in Victoria BC has an unrestored example.

Roy Welburn in Williams Lake might have a rear body off of one. The rear
body is distinctive because of the stowage bins accessible from the outside.

I have photos of a Bofors being towed by a Canadian Army jeep by 1948 though
this was the Bantam Bofors for the airborne.

Colin Macgregor Stevens

NOTE: I lost about 100 messages in early April, 11 or more messages on 2001
APR 30/May 1 due to a server problem and then whole ADSL system crashed for
first week of May! If you sent me a message during that time that was not
answered, please resend it. Thanks.

MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
Editor: "Maple Leaf Up!" newsletter & Webmaster
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
(Established 1977)
Pitt Meadows (East of Vancouver but not beyond Hope)
British Columbia, CANADA
Owner of:
1944 Willys MB jeep (ex-Norway)
1942 BSA airborne bicycles (2)