M38A1 - Have to Use The Choke All The Time

From: Allen Jones (jonesal@u.washington.edu)
Date: Wed May 09 2001 - 08:31:40 PDT

I have a fresh overhaul on my '55 M38A1 (including carb, distributor, fuel
pump, new wires, etc. - bone stock setup). The weird thing is that I have to
leave the choke on (alot) all the time (after being warmed up) to get it to
run decent which leads me to believe it's fuel starved. BUT! The fuel pump
checks out for both pressure and flow. Intake vacuum checks out with normal
vacuum and no leaks. The timing is set and the mechanical advance seems to
work fine. The valve lash checks out fine. Compression is normal. I've put
the carb on a carb machine and the power valve starts to operate at 7 inches
of vacuum (which should be ok). I can also peek down in the carb throat
(with a dentist's mirror) and see gas squirting in when I goose the carb
(the carb was sent through a sonic cleaner when overhauled). I'm stumpted.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I imagine I've missed
something here. Or is it normal to run around all the time with the choke
on? It's not that cold here in Seattle....

Thanks, Allen.