Re: [MV] GPW

From: Gene Pantano (truks@cs.quik.com)
Date: Sat May 12 2001 - 19:05:11 PDT

More pictures of the restoration..
www.quik.com/truks/GPWUC.JPG
www.quik.com/truks/MVS.JPG
www.quik.com/truks/MULE.JPG

I bought the MV Spares wiring kit ..supposed to be a complete wiring kit for
the GPW.. I have no idea who makes these or where.. But , I am very unhappy
with them.. The cost of these kits is very high..and I would expect for the
price - that the kit would be proper and complete.. (and have better
directions) Well...now I have to run around and find the 2 and 3 conenctor
female connectors for the rear harness. The Ford wiring harnesses were all
covered with the cloth tubing...I have never seen a underbody harness for an
early Ford with a plastic covered harness.. Both of the GPW's I just
stripped have cloth covered underbody harnesses. The MV Spares harness is
wrapped in a plastic/rubberized tape...?? Has anyone ever seen this before
on an original ?? Ford soldered all connections..these are not..Also the
firewall cover for under the dash I bought at the KC show..it came with
"silver" screws..??!! The originals were a parkerized finish..not bright !!
I suggest that whoever is marketing these reproduction parts..get it right
or stop selling them until you find the right stuff.. I want my restoration
to be correct in every way possible.
I undercoated the tub with the real stuff used on new cars...yeah, I know,
they did'nt do that from Ford..but they did later..I'm just doing it sooner
!!
The MULE in the picture is the one I found with less than 2 hours on the
meter !! Great vehicle... Enjoy, Gene