Saracen questions

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Sat May 12 2001 - 18:29:36 PDT

Hi, folks. Today I got to climb around in a Saracen that's going on
the auction block tomorrow (Sunday 5/13, that is). Although I already
have more green trucks than I need, and it's very unlikely that I
would win the bid on this vehicle, it looks like a really neat toy,
and I'm seriously thinnking about showing up at the auction tomorrow.
I have many questions, and I hope that somebody out there can clue me
in tonight! I apologize in advance for my ignorance.

I do not know what version of the Saracen this vehicle is. It appears
to be in very good condition. One of the other folks crawling through
it started the engine, but was unable to make the vehicle move.

Is the pedal on the left side of the driver's position a gear-change
pedal like on a Ferret, rather than a clutch pedal?

The pedal on the left side pushes all the way to the floor board
without resistance other than the return spring. How bad is this? Is
there a common failure mode like this that you Saracen experts would
suspect before examining the vehicle more closely?

There's a big lever on the right side of the driver's position which
has a thumb button. Is that a parking brake?

Just in case I manage to win the beast and need to drive it, or at
least get it into neutral and release any brakes for loading onto a
trailer, can anybody out there clue me in on how to operate it? I.e.,
how to start it, put it in gear and take it out of gear, etc.

Are the three wheels on each side rigidly geared together like on a
Stalwart? If so, is this a big problem for driving on dry pavement?

Does it use tube-type tires? This one had 12.00x20 tires with wavy
non-directional treads.

How hard is it to get parts in the US?

In particular, one of the wheel studs is broken off. Is that something
I might be able to find at a local auto or truck parts store?

I was unable to traverse the turret. Is it power-driven, or is it just
turned by hand? There's a circular bar under the turret ring which
rotates an inch or two, and appears to apply a brake to keep the
turret from turning. Is my guess correct? The machine gun mount was
present, and elevated and depressed easily.

Are there any potential problems getting one of these beasts
registered, and legally driving it on the road, particularly in
California?

Does the Saracen have any amphibious capabilities?

Are there any specifications available on-line, such as dimensions,
weight, speed, fluid requirements, etc.?

Does anybody have any information about typical radio installations in
the Saracen? This one has cables and junction boxes which suggest that
it had radios in it at one time, but I don't know what type(s) it
might have had, or where they might have been installed.

I would appreciate any and all information and advice that y'all could
provide about the Saracen this evening. Thanks in advance!

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/