WC53 Carryall Restoration Entry #53 & 54

From: Chris Davis (cdavis@webworldinc.com)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 07:30:08 PDT

Busy weekend. After work Friday I picked up the replacement cross member
from Western Sandblast. Several rust holes were exposed on it, so I
decided to fill them with the MIG. Filling and grinding complete, I gave
it a coat of primer. Before calling it a night I decided to weld this (and
another) cross member back into place on the Carryall.

I think I mentioned it earlier, but these new welding hoods that
automatically adjust to the intensity of the light are worth every
penny. The one I'm using helped prevent a bigger fire Friday
night. Sparks from my welding hit and ignited a polyester blanket I had
used to cover one of the tires during primer paint. Who knows how big the
fire would have gotten before I saw it through a conventional hood, but
with the self polarizing unit I noticed it early enough to simply stamp it
out. Good reminder to be aware of what's under or around you when welding.

Most of Saturday was spent welding and grinding flush holes or tears in
parts that had been removed from the body. (A lot of time on the front
bumper). I had another bit of welding fun when a hot ball of splatter
found a hole in my shoe. I performed the traditional "Dance of the Foolish
Welder" while pulling the shoe off and inspecting the burnt hole in my
sock. Prevented a repeat performance by laying a glove over the shoe with
the hole in it.

I ended the day with a second coat of primer on the body. I guess I should
say half the body. Some mischief is at work with my spray gun. I tried
several different pressure and flow rates, event took the gun apart, but it
just doesn't seem to like this primer I'm using for the 2nd coat. Keeps
missing and spitting. (Also checked the vent, it's clear.) I think I need
a pressure gage at the gun, but any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Chris Davis
MVPA# 20000
Lake Forest, CA