Re: [MV] Jerry Can funny business

From: Raimondo L. Torelli (thealamo@iigbna.iigb.na.cnr.it)
Date: Tue May 15 2001 - 08:01:37 PDT

May 15 2001

Doug
It is very interesting!!! I do not know if it is a joke... or not! I am
waiting for Andreas comments...
Well, the Italian "tanica" (Jerry can) of the "Regio Esercito" (Royal Army)
was similar to the German one, however the 4 reinforcements on the front
and back are different: like a symmetrical "X", coming out from the
rectangle. "RE" was stamped in the rectangle.
I have no idea if it was patented... or not...
Keep Them Rolling!

Raimondo - MVPA 15878 & IMPS 2320

At 20.41 14/05/01 +0930, DOUGGEN wrote:
>Everyone
>
>Is the following for real or is it just a wind-up?
>(It comes from the WW2 British list.)
>
>========
>
>The Court of First Instance of the Court of Justice of the European
Community sitting in Luxemburg today ruled in favor of a >German
engineering company in a multi million dollar case against the British
Government for illegal patent breaches dating >back to 1942.

> At that time the British 8th Army was engaged in hostilities with
> German forces in North Africa and copied the standard issue fuel
>can
> which the German military forces were using because the German
>design
> was much superior to their own. It included a built in carrying
> handle, a built in sprout, and a clip locked cap. Because the
>British
> soldiers called their German opponents "Jerries", the can they
>copied
> became known in the English speaking world as the 'Jerry Can'.
>
> Muller Maschinen GmbH of Waschenbeuren-am-der-Ruhr produced patent
> documents to the European Court proving beyond doubt that the
>Jerry can's design was conceived and internationally patented by the
firm's founder, Han-Jurgen Muller, in 1939. The Court of >First Instance
thereby supports a claim of royalties owed by the British government, as
the offender of the first part, for >failing to pay royalties for all Jerry
cans produced when they had an opportunity to do so as soon as the war was
over.

> Herr Isaac Isaacs, the German lawyer representing Muller Maschinen
> GmbH, declared that the Court's decision was a well deserved
>victory,
> and he hoped that the British would now take heed of their failure
>to understand the moral standards of the European community. He >also said
that the way was now clear to energetically pursue all >other manufacturers
of Jerry cans who had not yet paid royalties >to Muller Maschinen GmbH.