WC53 Carryall Restoration Entry #55

From: Chris Davis (cdavis@webworldinc.com)
Date: Tue May 15 2001 - 07:43:06 PDT

I started out intending to put the 2nd coat of primer paint the other half
of the truck tonight. But, morbid fascination drew me to the half I had
already done. It was bad, really bad. Like a accident on the freeway I
couldn't avoid slowing down to take a look. It had a talcum powder finish
on it that you could wipe away with your hand, and here and there more
resistant rough spots, like sandpaper. So I hunted up real sandpaper and
went to work.

I sanded all evening. It actually cleaned up ok and has some really nice
fill characteristics. But it seams a ridiculous amount of work to go
through to put a 2nd coat of primer on. I'm thinking something's got to be
out of whack in the two part primer / thinner ratio. The paint supplier
said one to one... but it drys so fast and powdery... I'm at a loss and
will probably pay the paint folks a visit today.

Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions for improving the flow from the
spray gun (which may be the actual source of this bad primer coat, [the
gun, not the suggestions]). I will try straining the primer, etc.

Also, I feel better about my "Foolish Welder" dance. Much better than the
"Insanely Painful Injured Person" variation.

Chris Davis
MVPA# 20000
Lake Forest, CA
'42 WC53 Carryall